Thursday, December 4, 2014

Therapy Thursday

I had therapy this morning after having last week off for Thanksgiving. Have I mentioned how much I love my therapist? I came close to giving up on therapy a couple of years ago after things with Dr. R came to a moderately disastrous end, and then I almost got stuck with this meanie, and then I found my beloved Dr. P. Sometimes I find myself questioning the value or purpose of therapy, and then Dr. P goes and does her amazing thing and I can't imagine not having her around.

Anyway, today we talked about some of my appetite frustrations. Aside from just being a sympathetic ear, she had a few suggestions and overall managed to make me feel a little better about the whole thing. Basically it comes down to challenging some of my food rules and rituals: experimenting with truly eating according to hunger instead of waiting two hours with a growly stomach until my self-appointed "dinner time," mixing up my portions and food choices, and allowing myself to incorporate extra, unlimited amounts of "free foods" that I don't normally include in my calorie count—stuff like celery sticks, baby carrots, blueberries, etc. The idea being that maybe if I really try honoring my hunger whenever it emerges, my body will get better at trusting me. I haven't one hundred percent committed to any big changes just yet, but I'll keep ya posted.

Besides all that, I got one of my final presentations out of the way this afternoon. And guess who got an A? OH JUST ME. Although it was kind of expected, because the professor is my advisor J and we're tight. It's nice to cross that off my list thought. Plus, I always appreciate the opportunity to practice public speaking and giving presentations; it is definitely a skill I will need for my future school/life plans, and I'm not great at it.

So, a great Thursday all around. I am off to pour myself a glass of wine and curl up in front of Homeland.

No comments:

Post a Comment