Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Gym Etiquette Fail

Okay, so I will take full responsibility for being irrational and competitive with this girl last time, but this morning it was NOT MY FAULT. The gym was pretty empty when I got there, and I had the entire row of treadmills to myself. Peaceful, right? Well, no. About five minutes into my run, Gym Girl pops up and gets on the treadmill right next to mine. I kid you not—we were the only two people using the treadmills. There were at least 10 other free machines, and she picked the one right next to me. THAT IS AGAINST THE UNWRITTEN GYM RULES.

LITERALLY THIS WAS THE SITUATION

And I tried really hard to ignore her and, like, stay within myself and be calm and zen and all that, but she was making me SO self-conscious. So naturally I had to run harder/fast/longer than her! It was out of my control!! I won.

Yet another reason why winter sucks. As long as it's too cold and snowy to run outside, I'm stuck battling this girl and her personal space violation issues.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, I absolutely hate when people do that. Or take the machine right behind me despite a billion open ones. It did seem like she was baiting you, and I can understand how the self-consciousness and competitiveness kicked in, I really hope that doesn't happen again with her. That being said, if that happens again, could you switch to a different kind of machine away from her? Like an elliptical or bike? Just to prevent yourself from getting competitive? I understand the feeling, but I also know that's probably not the best thing in the world for you, so I hope there are ways you can actively avoid it if she keeps doing it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete