Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Coding Woes and Schedule Insanity

I'm tempted to give you the bullets version of the past few days because my brain is too tired to attempt cohesion, but I'll refrain. On Saturday morning I worked at College City Food Bank for a few hours, then met up with my friend H to work on our lab homework. We spent about three hours on Saturday and another four hours on Sunday trying to write code that would make our data usable, and failed MISERABLY. Tech geek, I am not.

So true.

Yesterday was stressful. I had a phone interview in the morning with a Potential PhD Advisor at a Potential PhD School, then rushed to class, then rushed to the subway station, caught a train downtown to my office, worked until 6, rushed home, and spent several hours trying to analyze my data open my data, gave up, watched The Bachelor, went to bed.

So dreamy......but SO boring.

And now that that's over, today is stressful. I'm at work 9am-3pm, then have meetings at 3:30 and 4:30, class at 5:30, home by 9, more work, more Bachelor, bed.

I've been vacillating between OMG TOTALLY ECSTATIC and HOLY SHIT FREAKING OUT about all the stuff I have going on. Things are looking good on the PhD front - I got another interview at Wow Big Fancy School, but scheduling my trip out there is becoming a nightmare. It's an all-day-Friday deal, which means I need to get into town Thursday night....unfortunately I can't really miss my Thursday class two weeks in a row (because I'll be traveling for another interview the weekend before), so I can't leave College City until about 6 or 7 p.m., which means I won't make it to Wow Big Fancy School until after midnight. So I'll be sleeping on someone's couch Thursday and Friday nights, doing the Friday Interview Day all cranky and bleary-eyed, and flying home Saturday just in time to cram in all my homework before my interview at Current University on Monday morning.

So expensive


Exciting yes, but I'm tired just thinking about it.

It's kind of crazy to think that I have no idea where I'll be at this time next year; whether I'll be in a new city, a new apartment, a new school, have a new set of friends, a new lifestyle, a new therapist, a new commute home for Christmas... Insane. I've been in College City my whole "grown-up" life (since I was 18), so I've never had to function anywhere else. How does one find a mechanic? A hairdresser? The nearest Apple Store? The best coffeeshop? WHAT IF THEY DON'T HAVE STARBUCKS?

Now I'm all panicked again. All I can do is focus on now, do my work, keep my head above water, trust my gut, and things will work out.

Much love to all - K

No comments:

Post a Comment