Saturday, July 20, 2013

Random Rundown

Oh lordy, it's hot. Nothing compared to last summer, but these past few days have been majorly sticky and gross. Hopefully we get another big thunderstorm and things cool down, because I'm over it. Also it sends my electric bill through the roof.

I am in complete disbelief that school starts in ONE MONTH. Where did the summer go? Time is certainly flying, maybe more so this summer compared to last because I've been generally happier and more able to get out and about. Still weird because it feels like I just moved into my apartment and started work, like, yesterday....while in fact, it's already been eight weeks.

Speaking of school, I registered for classes yesterday! Guess this officially makes me a graduate student. I've packed my schedule pretty full (five courses), which may have been dumb but I suppose it's better to hold spots for myself. I can always drop one if the semester gets started and I realize I'm way over my head.

Aside from all the medical drama, this past week was relatively good. My mood is way improved since being able to exercise, although I am struggling a little with the idea of increasing my calories. I'm not super worried about losing weight, since I am not really working out enough to have much effect and my weight has been very very stable for several months now...but I suppose I should err on the side of caution rather than overzealousness for a while. Obviously it makes sense that if I'm adding in XX minutes of calorie-burning X times a week, I should theoretically also add in XXX calories to cover the deficit...working on it....

Who hates strapless bras? I DO I DO. How can something be so pinchy and tight, while simultaneously falling off? One of life's greatest mysteries, I tell you. Add in my sizing confusion issues, and we've got ourselves a situation.

Soo....how 'bout that Zimmerman verdict? Just kidding, not gonna go there.... That being said, I found Obama's remarks yesterday to be both poignant and true. I'm white, grew up in a mostly white neighborhood, attended a mostly white high school, and have always had mostly white friends. College City, however, is in a completely different part of the country, and it vastly more diverse and more deeply segregated than any environment I've ever encountered. My new apartment is in a primarily black neighborhood, and I'm not going to lie and say I haven't noticed. As someone who has never considered herself racially prejudiced in any way whatsoever, I still find my mind opening up and realigning itself every single day. Where's the line between racial profiling and a petite girl simply exercising street smarts? Don't look at me for answers! But I can say that for the most part, I've found my new neighbors, grocery store employees, exterminator, and mailman to be nothing but courteous and delightful. I'm really grateful to have been pushed outside my sheltered bubble of a life.

Books of the week:
A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash - Amazing, beautiful, heartbreaking. Big thumbs up!
The Whistleblower: Sex Trafficking, Military Contractors, and One Woman's Fight for Justice by Kathryn Bolkovac—To be honest, the movie with Rachel Weisz is way better than the book. It's an interesting read but if you only have time for one, watch the movie. It's on Netflix!
The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls—Not bad, not fantastic. Walls's memoir The Glass Castle was much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment