Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Snowy Day

Boo yuck gross it's cold and snowy, so I'm stuck inside today. When I was little, I adored snow days. Nothing seemed cozier than being holed up in the house baking cookies or playing Scrabble or watching movies. Now, it drives me nuts to be snowed in. Thank God for the internet and books.

I spent a good chunk of the morning cleaning - like, real cleaning. As in dusting, scrubbing, mopping, sweeping, disinfecting, and toting loads of trash out to the dumpsters behind my building. I've never been a compulsive antibacterial-wielding neat freak, but I do find cleaning to be oddly therapeutic. My favorite chore is washing dishes (except for cups and oddly-shaped utensils). I was feeling antsy and claustrophobic earlier, and some good scrubbing was just what I needed to take the edge off. Plus, every visible surface in my apartment is now gleaming. Who needs therapy? I've got a can of Scrubbing Bubbles.

My friend P called earlier. She's my best friend from high school and we're still super close. (She's the one I took a trip with last March). Since she goes to school across the country, we don't really see each other much anymore outside holidays and summer, but we always make a point to stay in touch and text/talk/e-mail regularly. Hearing from her gave me a huge mental  boost. We took turns venting about our various injuries (she has an inflamed SI joint, among other things). We actually met during cross country season our freshman year of high school and she still runs as well, so it was nice to talk to someone who "gets" it.

I actually asked my dietician J about exercise yesterday. She said that while she would "greatly prefer" it if I didn't work out, if I'm going to do anything I should stick to low-impact stuff like Pilates, yoga, weight-training, that type of thing. AKA no running. In fact, J told me that none of her underweight patients have her blessing to do any cardio whatsoever. That's what I expected her to say, I guess, although it was still kind of disheartening to hear. Sometimes it's hard to remind myself that even if I were injury-free tomorrow, part of me is still not well. But that's a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment