Monday, July 7, 2014

Tummy Toubles and Doctor Anxiety

Welp, I am lame and am currently out $125 for the key fiasco yesterday. They charged me for EVERYTHING - getting back in the building, replacement key, changed locks. I've really gotta stop doing dumb things, because that shiz is expensive. I promise you guys, I am so organized and I never lose stuff, especially not my keys. So, that sucked. Luckily I am getting paid on Friday, thank goodness because my bank account is totally in the red right now.

I think I need to see a doctor...tummy issues, ugh. BUT I am having major insecurity and anxiety issues about it. I used to see doctors all the time, likely probably at least twice a week between ED stuff, pain stuff, and eye stuff. Plus the occasional check-in with my psychiatrist (2-3 times per year) and gynecologist (1-2 times per year). But I really haven't seen many doctors at all lately, or at least not much in the past 6-7 months. And for some reason, I'm really super stressed out about it, like they're going to think I'm crazy and won't take me seriously. Also, I want to ask about the weight gain but I KNOW they're going to see the old anorexia diagnosis and just roll their eyes at me.

I scheduled an appointment at my campus health center for next week, after my class ends and things slow down a bit. And that gives me some time to cancel if I change my mind, which I shouldn't do, but I might. In the meantime, anyone got advice for an upset stomach? I've been having issues for over a year now, and my mom has been begging me to get checked out for a while, but somehow this got swept under the rug with everything else that was going on.

Hope everyone is getting back into the swing of things after a long weekend! Much love.

3 comments:

  1. Depends on what kind of stomach pain you're having. Does it feel like upper abdomen pain (like stomach/acid)? Or is it lower abdomen (intestines)? I have IBS (although it's a lot better than it used to be) and I had such severe gastric reflux that I required surgery to repair a non-functional LES in January 2012. So, I sort of know my way around tummy trouble.

    If it's acid, I believe Nexium is now OTC. You can also try Prilosec. See if that helps. But if feels lower down/intestinal -- I'm afraid I don't have any advice. There used to be an rx med called Zelnorm on the market for IBS, but it got pulled.

    Let us know what the doc says. I've also had a TON of tests, so I can share my experiences with that as well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is definitely lower/intestinal...I was also tentatively diagnosed with IBS a few years ago, but that was in the midst of an ed relapse so my gut was all kinds of screwy back then. I was diagnosed with pcos around the same time by a crackpot np (that diagnosis has since been repeatedly debunked), so it's hard to say what were symptoms of the anorexia and what were symptoms of a distinct disorder. I was given an rx for hyoscyamine (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a684010.html) but I haven't taken it for a long time, and can't remember if it was much help.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, Levsin. I think I took that before, but can't recall if it helped. I don't think I stayed on it very long at all.

    ReplyDelete