Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sunday Update

Ugh boo lame Sunday night. I have work ALL day tomorrow then a study interview, so I'll be home by 8 or 9, then dinner, then more work, then maybe sleep but probably not because I can't BREATHE and that reminds me, I was supposed to buy Nyquil today but I forgot. This cold is super inconvenient for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the aforementioned inability to BREATHE. I still can't believe that my first cold in YEARS has come in the middle of June. You guys should hear me coughing right now, it ain't pretty.

I NEED YOU

I spent part of the day on campus using a school computer, then part of the day at a coffee shop writing a paper on my laptop. My weeks are so full these days that I really count on having several uninterrupted hours on the weekends for work; as a result, my weekends aren't very exciting or fun, but at least the work gets done. Right now I am just laser-focused on trying to do well, finish everything I commit to, and learning and accomplish as much as I absolutely can before having to make any major life decisions about my next steps (post-Masters). So yes it is busy and stressful and overwhelming at times, but this is what I signed up for.

This afternoon I went into major stress-cleaning mode. I'm not even particularly stressed right now, just sick of sitting around and feeling antsy. So I opened all the windows and pulled out my bottle of 409 and sponges and went to work. I went through each of the rooms in my apartment (granted, there are only three, not counting the bathroom) scrubbing, dusting, spraying vacuuming, sweeping, moving furniture, crawling on my hands and knees, and generally taking out all my frustration on the dirt.

source

And because I have oodles of free time with absolutely nothing to fill my lazy days, I started a new book: Paying for the Party by Elizabeth Armstrong and Laura Hamilton. Very interesting! The authors are sociologists who take a systematic, scientific approach to analyzing what they call "pathways" taken by different groups of girls based on their socioeconomic class. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm intrigued. It doesn't match up exactly with my college experience, since the school featured in the book is a giant, moderately-selective state school ( with a definite "party school" reputation) whereas my school was a smaller, elite, private university (and definitely not a party school). But a lot of the general themes definitely click with my college experience.

source

Anyways, that's about all that's going on with me today. Much love and more soon.

1 comment:

  1. Summer colds are the WORST! I hope you feel better soon! Sounds like a really busy schedule! Even though you're totally on board for it (which is a great attitude), make sure you take some time for yourself too! The interviews sound like they'll be interesting! The book looks interesting as well, I may have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete