Saturday, August 16, 2014

Another Assortment

So much randomness to update about. First, I am totally heartbroken and distraught over this Ferguson chaos. I don't even know what to think about it. Actually, I have a lot of thoughts, but am not ready to publish them in public until more of the facts come out. Second, I am equally distraught over this Isreal-Gaza conflict. Seriously, at what point do people lay down their guns and mortars and rockets and tear gas, and power down their tanks, and admit that THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE WAY FOR PEOPLE TO BEHAVE?

Next, I finally caved and made another appointment with Dr. A on October 10 (his next available). I had a couple of relatively bad pain days this week, and figured I might as well quit stressing and waiting, and take some initiative. My period is late again this month, which has happened several times now, so I'm thinking the hormones are somewhat fucked again. We shall see.

Yesterday I was eating lunch outside in my usual spot, a bench in a park-ish type space outside my office (in the middle of downtown College City) when this homeless guy came over and started flirting/hustling. Naturally because I am a sucker and cannot say no, we ended up sitting on the bench together for 20 minutes chit-chatting, I gave him $5, and helped him program the number for the city housing authority into his cell phone. Then he started saying "You real nice, sweetheart! I would like to be your friend!" which was my cue to pack it in ("Oh darn look at the time! Lunch break is over!") and bolt. Now it looks like I will need to find a new place to eat lunch.

Um, I have a date tonight with a guy from work. I kind of saw it coming because from my first day in the office a couple weeks ago, he had been coming over and hanging by my desk a lot, so it didn't totally surprise me, but I was also kind of impressed with how forward he was. I am totally old-fashioned and would NEVER ask a guy out, so I give major props to guys who do because I think it looks like the scariest thing in the world. The guy is super friendly and cute and nice, so naturally I played it totally cool and then went and did a little jig in the ladies' room.

Anyways, I have a couple minor concerns and I am probably over-thinking things but here there are:
1) He is a little older—by 6 or 7 years I think. Which is fine, but—and I had this concern with another guy I saw briefly last year, who was 30—I worry that he is in a slightly different life stage. Namely, the "I'm getting ready to settle down, so it's time to enter into a serious relationship with the clear intent of eventual marriage sooner rather than later." Whereas I am 23 and still very much in the "Sure! Dating is fun! But if you mention marriage to me I will freak out and hide under my couch." It feels a little like I'm still a kid in school and he's a grown-up with a job. I've never dated anyone with more than a year or so age difference (because all my past boyfriends have been from school), so maybe I am just making an issue out of nothing. But with guys who are approaching 30 as opposed to being in their early twenties like me, I start to worry that maybe they are more interested in a relationship than in me.
2) Yesterday in a meeting, my boss pulled me aside and asked if the guy was "bothering me," and that I should "let [my supervisor] know" if it got to be a "problem." He (my boss) then went on to say that he was just making sure because he saw the guy talking to me a lot, and that we weren't doing anything wrong and I wasn't in trouble or anything like that, but was just making sure it was all good. I think he was just being a good supervisor and doing his due diligence watching out for his new intern, but the more I thought about it later, the more it made me wonder if this guy is weird or creepy or has a reputation or something. So, we shall see. But I am seeing him tonight at 8pm, so if this blog suddenly goes silent after that I have probably been murdered.

So, that about sums it up. I have some other updates about school/future plans stuff, but I will save it for another post. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your date!! I love the excitement feeling of being asked out on a date, or getting excited to get dressed up. I kinda miss it over here with my over 2 year relationship lol. But let me tell you! The age does not make the man committed, it's the place he's in his life. My boyfriend is 28 and yes he wants to settle down somewhat soon, but he's not rushing it just because 30 isn't far off, were taking our time to get to know each other and when it happens, it happens. Maybe this guy if you're really interested in him, might not care that you'll need more time to figure life out and figure yourself out.

    Also, I think you'll realize if he's creepy or what's going on with that after the date, or maybe after a couple. GO with your gut instinct!

    Hope you have a great time on your date, and can't wait to read about it later, you'll have to tell us all here in the blog world all about it next post : )
    <3

    ReplyDelete